1. What was 'Mao Zedong Thought'?
To identify the key features of Maoism and to explain how it influenced Mao's rule in China
1. Download read and make notes from this Lesson PowerPoint.
2. Complete questions 1-5 on slide 19.
3. Watch one of the documentaries on this page (optional)
3. Read the article 'Makers of the 20th Century: Mao' by Stuart Schraum and 'Mao Zedong: Liberator or Oppressor?' by Michael Lynch.
4. Create a timeline highlighting the key events and turning points of Mao's rule between 1949-1976. Use the readings and the Lesson PowerPoint to help you.
Discussion Question for Next Week
5. Was Mao Zedong a liberator or oppressor?
2. How did Mao and the CCP establish their Rule? 1949-1961
To identify the various methods of control used by Mao and the CCP to establish and consolidate their political control of China
1. Download, make notes and read the group research task instructions on the Lesson PowerPoint.
2. Look (and download) the reading lists and topics you need to research below.
3. Make a shared google doc for your research and make sure you add your research to your course notes.
4. Present your findings next lesson in a 5-minute presentation to the class.
Group Research Information
All groups should use and read pages 19-28 and 36-41 of their textbooks, 'The People's Republic of China 1949-76 by Michael Lynch. Please click on the links below to download the relevant chapters:
Fairbank pages 345-367
Fairbank pages 368-382
Hsu pages 645-664
Spence pages 514-536
Spence pages 537-540
Spence pages 541-565
Spence pages 566-575
Group 1 - How did the structure of the new government ensure Communist control?
Group 2 - How was propaganda and 'mass campaigns' used to consolidate control?
Group 3 - How was terror and repression used to consolidate control?
Group 4 - How did purges of the Party and Society help consolidate control?