1. Innovation & Industry
6-7. Assessment 1
2. Empire and Expansion
1. What is an Empire?
2. Benefits of an Empire
3. Negatives of Empire expansion
4. Perspectives on Empires
3. Rebellion and Revolution
1. Why do people protest?
2. What are the causes of revolutions?
3. What are the methods of protest?
4. What are the consequences of protests?
4. War and Conflict
1. Causes of WW2
2. Did that really happen here? WW2 in Hong Kong
3. Why did the War extend to Hong Kong?
4. How did the War affect Hong Kong?
1. Hong Kong Story
2. The Slave Trade
3. The First World War
4. The Changing Role of Women
Big History Project
1. What is Big History?
1.0 - Welcome to Big History
1.1 - Scale
1.2 - Origin Stories
1.3 - What are Disciplines?
1.4 - My Big History
2. The Big Bang
2.0 - Changing Understandings
2.1 - The Big Bang
2.2 - Claim Testing
Links & Resources
3. Stars and Elements
3.0 - How were stars formed?
3.1 - Creation of Complex Elements
3.2 - Ways of Knowing: Stars & Elements
4. Our Solar System & Earth
4.0 - Formation of Earth & Our Solar System
4.1 - What was young Earth like?
4.2 - Why is Plate Tectonics important?
4.3 - Ways of Knowing: Our Solar System and Earth
5.0 - What is Life?
5.1 - How did Life Begin and Change?
5.2 - How do Earth and Life Interact?
5.3 - Ways of Knowing: Life
6. Early Humans
6.0 - How Our Ancesters Evolved
6.1 - Ways of Knowing: Early Humans
6.2 - Collective Learning
6.3 - How did the First Humans live?
7. Agriculture & Civilisation
7.0 - The Rise of Agriculture
7.1 - The First Cities and States
7.2 - Ways of Knowing: Agriculture & Civilisation
8. Expansion & Interconnection
8.0 - Expansion
8.1 - Exploration & Interconnection
8.2 - The Columbian Exchange
8.3 - Commerce & Collective Learning
9.0 - Transitions, Thresholds & Turning Points in Human History
9.1 - Acceleration
9.2 - The Anthropocene
9.3 - Changing Economies
9.4 - Industrialism
9.5 - Modern States and Identities
9.6 - Crisis and Conflict
9.7 - Acceleration: Demographic, Political, and Technological
10. The Future
10.0 - Looking Back
10.1 - The Biosphere
10.2 - Looking Forward
Little Big History
Thresholds of Increasing Complexity
1. The Establishment of the Weimar Republic & Its Early Problems
2. The Recovery of Germany 1924-1929
3. The Rise of Hitler and the Nazis 1919-1933
4. Life in Nazi Germany 1933-1939
5. Germany during the Second World War
Old Exam Questions
1. China 1900-1934
2. Mao & the CCP 1934-1949
3. Change under Mao 1949-1963
4. The Impact of the Cultural Revolution
5. China after Mao 1976-1989
Old Exam Questions
US Civil Rights 1945-74
1. McCarthyism and the Red Scare
2. Civil Rights in the 1950s
3. The Impact of MLK & Black Power
4. Protest Movements
5. Nixon & Watergate
Old Exam Questions
Russia & the USSR 1905-24
Old Exam Questions
Rights and Protest
The Move to Global War
1. Japanese Expansion
1. Impact of the Meiji Restoration
2. Foreign Policy in the 1920s
3. The Invasion of Manchuria
4. The Sino-Japanese War
5. The Road to War
2. German and Italian Expansion
1. Causes of Italian Expansion
2. Responses to Italian Expansion
3. Causes of German Expansion
4. Responses to German Expansion
5. The Road to War in Europe
Paper 2: The Cold War
1. Introduction to the Cold War
2. Causes of the Cold War
3. The Cold War in Asia
4. Course of the Cold War
5. End of the Cold War
6. The Impact of Leaders
7. The Impact of Crises
8. Impact on Nations
Paper 2: Authoritarian States
1. Emergence of Authoritarian States
1. Why do Authoritarian States emerge?
2. Rise of Hitler
3. Rise of Mao
4. Rise of Castro
5. Rise of Stalin
6. Comparing the Emergence of Authoritarian States
2. Consolidation & Maintenance of Power
1. Hitler's Germany 1933-45
2. Mao's China 1949-1976
3. Castro's Cuba 1959-Present
4. Comparing the Rule of Authoritarian States
3. Aims and Results of Domestic Policies
4. Comparing Domestic Policies
Paper 3: Asia and Oceania
Topic 12: China and Korea 1910-1950
1. What accounts for the rise of nationalism?
1. Was Yuan Shikai a national hero or villain?
2. What did Sun Yixian do to promote nationalism?
3. What was the impact of WW1 on nationalism?
4. How significant was the New Culture Movement?
5. Did the May 4th Movement achieve anything?
6. How did nationalism survive the warlords?
7. Assessment: What accounts for the rise of nationalism?
2. Did Guomindang rule achieve anything?
1. How did Chiang Kai-shek emerge as leader of the GMD?
2. Why was the Northern Expedition successful?
3. Was the Nanjing Decade a success?
4. Assessment: Was GMD rule a success or failure?
3. Was the rise of communism inevitable?
1. What were conditions like for peasants in China?
2. How did the CCP benefit from the First United Front?
3. Why did the First United Front fail?
4. How did Mao become leader of the Jiangxi Soviet?
5. To what extent was the Long March a turning point?
6. How did Mao consolidate his position at Yan'an?
7. Assessment: Was Communism inevitable?
4. How did war and conflict benefit the CPC?
5. What was the impact of Japanese occupation on Korea?
6. Was martial law in Taiwan justified?
Paper 3: Imperial Decline in East Asia 1860-1912
1. The Tongzhi Restoration
2. Effects of the Sino-Japanese War
3. Impact of the Boxer Rebellion
4. The 1911 Xinhai Revolution
5. The Meiji Restoration
6. Early Japanese Imperialism
7. The Opening of Korea
Paper 3: Japan 1912-1990
1. Taisho Japan
2. The Rise of Militarism
3. The Move to Global War
4. The Pacific War
5. The US Occupation
6. The 'Economic Miracle'
Paper 3: China and Korea 1910-1950
1. Rise of National Identity 1911-1927
2. Nationalist Rule in China 1927-1937
3. Rise of Communism in China: 1921-1937
4. Japanese Invasion and Civil War 1937-1949
5. Japanese Occupation of Korea 1910-1945
6. Taiwan - The Republic of China
Researching Primary Sources
New York Times Digital Archive
SCMP Digital Archive
Researching Secondary Sources
HK Public Library e-resources
Chicago Citation Format
IA Help Guide
1. Title Page
2. Abstract & Contents Page
4. Body of the Essay
6. References, Bibliography & Appendices
Hall of Fame
1. Forming Questions
2. Command Words
3. Topic A